Calling all artists! Art and artistic expression brings people together and embodies inspiration, creativity and originality.
At the Institute for Canadian Citizenship (ICC), we believe that arts and culture is at the heart of our work and one of the many ways we can express our pride in being Canadian. We capture the power of bringing people together by animating public, currently virtual spaces, and we invite you to share your artistry with us to celebrate the richness of Canada through its many forms of diversity.
The ICC invites you to share your artistic representation of what Canada means to you. Submissions will be shared on the ICC’s social media platforms and artists may be invited to be a part of one of the ICC’s Virtual Enhanced Citizenship Ceremonies. You will maintain all ownership over your original composition and will be credited for your submission.
What we are looking for:
- Original submissions that can include: vocal and/or instrumental musical performances, dance performances, visual art submissions (paintings, photographs, digital art). If you created it, we want to see it!
- We encourage either individual contributions or collaborative mash-ups between individuals, genres and performance styles.
- The submission should focus on the themes of diversity, inclusion and reconciliation with Indigenous communities and representations of what Canada from coast-to-coast-to-coast means to you.
The Fine Details:
- There are no restrictions. We welcome submissions from people of all ages, backgrounds and talents to apply. Whether you are learning your craft or are an established artist or are a Canadian by choice or by birth, we’d love to see your submission!
- Performance submissions should be no more than 5 (five) minutes in length and must be pre-recorded. Please keep your local COVID-19 safety protocols in mind when recording your performance.
- Submissions received by June 15th will be considered for use in our Canada Day celebrations, however, submissions will continue to be accepted on an on-going basis.
- The ICC is committed to all forms of inclusivity and will not accept any submissions that include any inappropriate information or images including but not limited to hate speech (personal attacks, profanity, racism, etc.), graphic, obscene, explicit or illegal submissions as well as defamatory comments.
Why an ICC Virtual Enhanced Citizenship Ceremony?
- ICC Virtual Enhanced Citizenship Ceremonies bring together established Canadians to connect with new Canadian citizens and hear about their journeys to citizenship and explore what being Canadian means to them. The way a country celebrates its newest members says a lot about that country’s values. The path to citizenship is a marathon, not a sprint, and we are so proud of the tremendous accomplishment of all new Canadian Citizens. Your participation would help make it extra special.
- To view past examples of original compositions performed at ICC Virtual Enhanced Citizenship Ceremonies, scroll down.
We can’t wait to see your creative expressions!